Thursday, March 26, 2009

Books

Yesterday I wrote about reading. I have four ways of obtaining books to read: borrow from the library, borrow from a friend, buy used, or buy new. All but the last provide no money to the author.

There are various factors involved in buying new books. I would like to support local independent bookstores, but I don’t have one near me. I used to live in a neighborhood with a wonderful independent bookstore and a chain bookstore both within walking distance of my apartment. I always went to the indie first, but sometimes I had to go to the chain to find a specific book.

Now I buy online unless I absolutely need the book right away, usually because it’s a sequel that I can’t wait to read, but occasionally because I’m buying a book as a last minute gift. When I buy a new book online it is almost always from Amazon. When I need to go to a brick and mortar store, if it’s a popular book I will buy it from a big-box like Target or Walmart. If I’m buying a less popular new book I will go to a chain bookstore.

I decide what books to read based on recommendations and personal interest. I decide whether and how to buy books based on price and convenience. Although I often choose to read books in a way that doesn't directly support the author, if I get hooked I might buy their next book as a hardcover pre-order.

No comments:

Post a Comment