Sunday, March 8, 2009

Ideas

Over the years, I have often thought about trying to be a writer. My primary motivations were my love of books and the lure of the writing lifestyle as I imagined it. I made a few half-hearted attempts at writing novels, but I lacked confidence and was discouraged by the unlikelihood of being published.

About two months ago I decided to take a more serious approach. I started by thinking about what kind of novel I wanted to write. I made a list of story elements that appealed to me and tried to think of a plot that would incorporate these elements. I surprised myself by coming up with an idea that I was excited about.

Instead of immediately starting to write, I decided to let my idea germinate. I spent time figuring out the characters and how the story would unfold. During this time of developing and changing and refining my idea, I turned to the internet to research writing and publishing.

I'll write about what I learned from my research tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment