Monday, March 16, 2009

Lifestyle

Yesterday I wrote about why I want to write a novel. One reason has always been the appeal of the writing lifestyle. I’ve always pictured the typical novelist living in a lovely home in a beautiful rustic location. He or she “works” in a room lined with books, by a window with an inspiring view of the lake/mountains/ocean. He or she has plenty of free time (and cash) for hobbies and travel. He or she lives a low-stress, independent, creatively fulfilling life. Who wouldn’t want that?

I’ve learned that success as a novelist is a lot harder than I originally imagined—even for those talented and lucky enough to be published. I honestly don’t expect fame or fortune. I don’t particularly want to be famous, although a little fortune would be nice. If I ever have a novel published, I expect to continue at my current full-time job while working on the next novel and promoting myself and my work. That would be very challenging, especially compared to my fantasy.

For me, writing is a hobby with the potential to be a career. I would love to make enough money to support myself with my writing. I know it’s unlikely, but the possibility does provide some motivation. In the meantime, I’ll enjoy the writing process and all the steps of my journey as a writer. My life is already pretty good, so I won’t mind if writing a novel doesn’t lead to an extreme life makeover.

It’s nice to have a hobby with the hope of a little success, and the dream of a fantasy lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment